Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's all Greek to me!

We're going to an annual summer barbecue tonight, and I wouldn't feel right about going without taking something healthy and fresh.  I've been going crazy trying to come up with the best side dish to prepare and take that would go with everything the hosts are preparing.  I was watching re-runs of the Barefoot Contessa, and she was making a greek salad.  It looked so bright and delicious that I knew that's what I would be making.

 It has chopped red and yellow bell peppers, cherry tomatoes cut in half, half slices of a hot house cucumber, kalamata olives (which I forgot to buy...shhh!), feta cheese, and a homemade dressing made from minced garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.

I think it turned out beautifully!  It might even be too pretty to eat :)  We will have to see what everyone at the party thinks of it.  I like that it isn't a traditional salad with lettuce.  This way, it becomes almost more of marinated veggies than a salad.  I will post pictures of the other food later, but for now, feast your eyes!
find the recipe for Ina Garten's Greek salad at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/greek-salad-recipe/index.html
 

No comments:

Post a Comment