Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Growing Up on a Processed Food Diet

I was born in the late 80’s, but I spent the majority of my childhood in the 90’s.  I had a typical childhood (or what I assume is typical) spending my summers playing outside with whatever could be found and make-believed into a toy.  We had a small corner area in our backyard that I would drag folding chairs to, and in my mind, it would instantly be transformed into a house for my dolls and myself.  The only time I remember spending my day inside during the summer is when it rained.  Rainy days would be filled with hours of playing barbies, board games, listening to records (yes, I mean real actual records), etc.  Sitting in front of the tv for hours on end was not an option. 

During the school year, I spent 3 nights a week at gymnastics, and I played outside until dinner and sometimes after on my nights off from sports.  My brother and I were outside as much as possible.  I would ride my bike all over the neighborhood to meet up with friends.  We eventually got a trampoline and a wooden swing set in the backyard that had a clubhouse.  When I look back on my childhood, I always remember it being fun.  I don’t ever remember feeling forced to be out in the fresh air and sunshine.

In retrospect, my parents were doing everything right with regards to our exercise, but not when it came to our food.  Growing up, I really never remember hearing the word organic ever come up in conversation.  My parents made sure we sat down together for dinner every night without a tv or any distractions keeping us from having conversations as a family.  Looking back, I can see how difficult it must have been to make that happen every night, but they did it.  My mom made us home cooked meals, or what Sandra Lee would ultimately become famous for referring to as semi-homemade.  Most of the vegetables came from cans as did the salmon for the salmon patties (my least favorite meal and I’m sure you can now see why that would be).  We ate frozen fish sticks (the research I’ve seen about what these are actually made of makes me want to erase ever eating these from my mind entirely).  My mom would try to get some fresh things on the table like broccoli, but the point was moot seeing as how it was drenched in cheese sauce for my family to consider it edible. 

The worst part is that I ended up becoming an extremely picky eater, and I would make Kraft Macaroni and Cheese to substitute any meal I didn’t like that my parents made.  I ate so much Macaroni and Cheese growing up that my grandfather used to say I was going to turn into a macaroni noodle.  I am happy to say that over the past 6 years that I’ve known my husband, I have done a complete 180, and I now eat more kinds of foods than he does.  My palette has changed so much that I can’t understand why I thought macaroni and cheese from a box with powdered cheese was the best thing since sliced bread.  I think my palette had been so worn down from processed food that I had no idea what food was actually supposed to taste like. 

Over the years, I have seen a weird shift between children and health and wellness.  Where we were constantly outside playing, I see that most children sit inside watching tv, playing video games, on the computer, etc.  That’s not to say that children don’t play sports or do anything outside, but it seems like they feel forced to be outside where we felt happy and lucky to be able to play outside.  I have seen some parents really step up and try to use more fresh ingredients instead of always buying pre made processed food, but most children that I come in contact with on a daily basis survive off of fast food or pre-made freezer meals.  It appears we have given up the push for kids to play outside, but we haven’t balanced it with a good diet of nutritious fresh food.  It’s no wonder that so many children are in bad health and overweight.  The ones who are athletic probably would be in the same boat if they didn’t have sports to burn off all of their calories. 

I understand the struggles and impossibilities facing you when it comes to eating healthy and figuring out what to feed your family.  I have had to relearn how to eat correctly for my body.  My metabolism slowed down, and I started realizing that I could no longer eat whatever I wanted without worrying about it.  It was time for a change.  I want to help you navigate this unfamiliar territory by letting you in on things I’ve learned and tips I’ve picked up along the way.  I want to know your struggles, questions, triumphs, and concerns because we more than likely have similar ones.  You are always more than welcome to leave a comment on here or send me an e-mail.  I will always be available to listen and help however I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment